Sunday, Mar 26, 2017
Today's Hours: 11:00am - 12:00am
Mikkelsen Library serves as the information center for the Augustana University community through its development of a local collection, its access to other sources of information, its support of the instructional process, and its encouragement of independent learning and research.
The original library structure was built in 1954 as a result of the support of students, faculty, the Evangelical Lutheran Church and Sioux Falls community. The library was named in memory of Amund Mikkelsen, the “pioneer president” of the Lutheran Normal School (Sneen). In 1980, the library was doubled in size with an addition.
The library celebrated 50 years in 2004 with a display, "Femti!", of photographs from the construction and dedication of the original library structure.
from Sneen, D. (1985). Through Trials and Triumphs: A History of Augustana College. The Center for Western Studies: Sioux Falls, SD.
An anonymous gift of $6 million in 2007 launched the renovation of Augustana College’s Mikkelsen Library. In a brief statement, our generous anonymous donors said: “This gift is given to honor the goodness and glory of God, and in gratitude for Augustana College and its journey to become a premiere college of the church in America. It is a joy to make this gift at such an exciting time for Augustana.” Many gifts from numerous other friends and supporters of the college, including members of the Augustana Library Associates, were critical to the completion of the library’s renovation project. View a brief history of the renovation.